Topic: Native American – Media Representation
Format/Length: Two Assignments = Annotated Bibliography and 1000-1500 words for second part
Due: Sunday, October 17, 2021
Info: I have attached the two assignment details and scholarly articles to use. You must select one of three movie options listed below to use for the assignment.
· Dances With Wolves (1990)
· Geronimo: An American Legend (1993)
· The Lone Ranger (2013)
1. Must use the four scholarly sources provided to complete the annotated bibliography worksheet. These sources will be used in the word assignment piece as well.
- Provide an introduction that includes the author and title of the fiction book, name of episode and name of the TV show, or the title of the movie that you chose, as well as a thesis that tells the reader whether you think this work provides a positive representation of diversity.
- Include a brief (1-paragraph, no more than 250 words) summary of the book, episode, or movie.
- Discuss whether you think the cast of characters in this book, episode, or movie is diverse. To back up your discussion, identify three characters from work and do the following for each:
- Please provide a brief (1-paragraph) description of the character, including what they do for a living, relationship status, role in the work (the main character, a minor character, comic relief, etc.), and anything else you think is important in understanding the character.
- Is the portrayal of the character stereotypical? Why or why not? Please provide specific examples from their dialogue or actions.
- Does the character have the privilege, and in what circumstances? Please provide specific examples from their dialogue or actions.
- Is this a positive representation of the group(s) that the character represents? Why or why not? Please provide specific examples from their dialogue or actions.
- Taking a step back, consider who isn’t represented in this work. Do you think this/these groups were left out intentionally? In other words, would it affect the story to include them?
- Finally, consider why the representation of diverse groups is important. Draw on your resources to construct an argument for greater inclusion. Does this argument extend to other areas of life (such as the workplace, schools, etc.) beyond fictional representation? Why or why not?
- In your conclusion, reiterate your thesis statement and summarize the main points of your assignment.