Report SEC 10-K
As an analyst for a large U.S. multinational corporation, you are assigned to examine a possible acquisition candidate, completing an initial search and review. Your supervisor is a member of the Controller’s team. The Controller reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Your work may be presented to a variety of audiences, so professionalism is essential in all deliverables you create. As you are reviewing historical financial statements you cannot conclude if this company is a good investment.
- Select a publically traded company from the Fortune 500 list.
- The company must have Accounts Receivable and Inventory. You must select a retail or manufacturing company.
- You must research and secure the SEC 10-K Annual Report for the most recent year by visiting and searching the SEC EDGAR system. An alternative path to accessing and downloading the most current 10-K is through the company’s Investor Relations webpage.
- Save the 10-K document to your computer for access. Please do not print this file as the report is usually 100 pages or more.
- Use the selected company in the discussion postings throughout the semester. The discussion questions are designed to help you build content for your report and presentation.
- Post the name of your desired company in the Week 1 SEC 10-K Project discussion for your instructor’s approval. Your post must answer all parts of the discussion.
- Each student must select a different company, so read the company names selected by classmates. The company must be a publically traded company from the Fortune 500 list.
- Your report should comment on the financial statements for your company as they relate to the information presented through Week 5 material for this class, including the notes to the financial statements.
- Do not consider the material from Weeks 7 and 8 in your report.
- The report must be submitted after Week 5 material on Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis.
- Write a minimum of a 3-page ( a full-page typically has at least 500 words) report, single-spaced, one-inch margins, 12-point font, with a double space between paragraphs. This page requirement includes data visualization (charts and graphs) that you create.
- Page count does not include a title page, tables and exhibits, and reference list.
- Include a title page (include your name on the title page). The report must include headings such as Accounts Receivable and Inventory (topics from the textbook); other examples would be Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows, and the Statement of Shareholders’ Equity.
- Include a brief introduction of your company as well as a conclusion/summary at the end. The majority of your report should include accounting topics in weeks one through five.
- You must include the Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows, and the Statement of Shareholders’ Equity in your report. You can copy directly from the SEC 10-K Report. The statements are not included in the page count.
- APA style is required for citations and a reference list. The report must include the reference list.
- Visit the Accounting Toolbox in the Course Content > Course Resources of the ACCT 221 LEO classroom. The Accounting Toolbox is a constant resource in our UMGC undergraduate accounting courses.
- Links and explanations to assist you with this report may appear in this resource.
- Additional guidance will be provided by your professor.
- You must comply with the UMGC Policy for Academic Integrity.
- Write your report, in your own words, using accounting words from our textbook and explaining how these relate to the financial statements of your company.
- The discussion postings throughout the semester should assist you in completing this report. However, do not copy and paste your discussion responses in your report.
- You must prepare a PowerPoint draft and post it to Peer-Review of SEC 10-K Project discussion.
- Once you have received feedback on your PowerPoint draft, make appropriate revisions, and submit the final version in the SEC 10-K PowerPoint Presentation assignment folder.
Submit only your SEC 10-K Power Point Presentation in this assignment folder.
- You are also required to prepare a brief PowerPoint file of no more than 10 slides (do not exceed) for the SEC-10K Report.
- Make sure you include a reference list in APA format.
- Post your PowerPoint file in the Week 6 discussion area to Peer Review of SEC 10K Project: Post Your Draft (REQUIRED posting) .
- You are required to post comments on the work of at least one other student who does not yet have comments so everyone has at least one set of comments.
- Do not wait until the last day to post your PowerPoint file so everyone has a chance to review the files!
- After you read the comments you may wish to make changes to your PowerPoint file.
- Submit the revised file in the SEC-10K PowerPoint Presentation assignment folder by the end of Week 7.