Discussion section: We will open up the question of whether memory is a faithful record and show how our patchwork memories serve us better than a mental museum.
Discussion 6 — How We Construct and Lose Our Memories
Step 1: Address the following questions in discussion in one paragraph for each of the three question items:
1. How memories formed at the following levels?
- Molecular: What is long-term potentiation (LTP)?
- Cellular: How is the hippocampus important for memory?
- System: How widely are memories distributed in the brain?
2. How would you distinguish amnesia from normal forgetting? When would you call an absent-minded person amnesic?
3. What’s better: A memory that records objectively and accurately, or a memory that can be updated to support newer levels of understanding?
4. Post responses of 75 to 100 words each to two of your fellow class members.