Read the directions provided below then post and reply to the discussion prompt (400 words or more for each entry and TWO Replies). Discussion first entries are due on a Monday and the replies are due no later than the subsequent Friday.
In Chapter 3 of your textbook, various methodological techniques for studying the social world are discussed. A key aspect of sociological research is utilizing the power of observation. Applying what you have learned about sociological research: First, discuss the role of observational research as a key methodology for studying society. Second, utilizing nonparticipant observation, participant observation, ethnography or netnography observe and record a detailed account of a social context or virtual social context that you are no stranger to (think local coffee shop, shopping mall, church or night club, a blog, twitter feed, or Instagram) from a sociological perspective. Be careful to be objective and ethically neutral. Do not include judgments or opinions of behaviors but rather, as best as possible, systematic observations. Third, discuss how a common-sense view of that social setting may look different from a sociological one. Does looking through the lens of sociological research methodology transform how that social space may be viewed. Substantiate your views. Fourth and finally, post a response to another classmate’s posting discussing your thoughts in a respectful and thoughtful manner. What stood out to you about their observations and the behaviors occurring?
Discussion postings are worth 15 percent of your total grade.
- You are required to first post a response to the discussion board prompt and it must be a minimum of 400 words. Citations, titles, copying questions, references, and other identifying information does not count toward word count.
- You are required to use proper grammar and spelling. When using other sources, citations using APA style are required.
- Direct quotes are not permitted in discussion posting, therefore you must paraphrase and cite. In addition, you must post a discussion response to a student’s discussion posting.
- When responding to a classmate to a classmate, your response needs to be pertinent and of substance. Stating that you agree or disagree is not sufficient. You must substantiate your responses.
- Above all, they must be respectful and worthy of intellectual honesty, sincerity, and humility. Responses must be a minimum of 150 words as well.