The Mission Statement
You have been elected sheriff. Upon taking office, you have determined that the department seems disorganized and unfocused. You believe that a clear mission statement is the first step in bringing the department back on track.
For this assignment, you will review the mission statements from three different sheriff’s offices or city police departments and then create a 4- to 5-page report in Microsoft Word that covers the following:
- Describe what a mission statement is and explain the purpose for having one.
- Identify the three different departments you selected for review of their mission statements and describe how well each mission statement meets the goal of providing a clear mission for their department. Identify the best parts of each and indicate any changes or additions you would make.
- Next, develop a proper mission statement for your department. Be sure that your mission statement spells out the department’s goals and priorities. Keep in mind that the mission statement will be viewed by the public and should reflect well on your department, so use of proper spelling and grammar is critical. The mission statements you reviewed above should provide guidance.
- Last, explain how your sheriff’s department would evaluate whether or not it was meeting the goals described in the mission statement. In other words, how will you know if you’re succeeding or need to improve? Be as specific as possible.
Cite any sources using APA format on a separate page.
- Name your report SU_CRJ3005_W1_A3_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
- Submit it to the Submissions Area below by the due date assigned.