Reasearching the Issue Instructions
The Rhetorical Situation
For this paper, you will research the controversy, surrounding your issue by describing its history and
summarizing at least two different positions on the issue or problem. Begin this paper with this in mind,
I should know where you stand why you want to even put in your time with this problem. Why do YOU
Before people can think of a solution to a problem, they must know the history of the controversy and
the range of positions available.
1. I want to know some background information on your issue, so draft detailed and elaborate
answers to the following questions:
• State the issue
• What caused the issue?
• What prompted your interest in it?
• Who is interested in the issue and why besides yourself?
Paragraph two/body paragraph of one point of view:
2. Your audience will also want to know the current, major positions on the issue, so draft
descriptions and summaries of 2 different positions or points of view. This is where you will
need to research and use Google Scholar or our college library database. Description 1 of pt of
view 1 to include:
• What are the main claims of those who advocate this position?
• What reasons do they provide for those claims?
• What evidence do they use to support their reasons?
• An assumption is a point an author doesn’t even try to prove. Rather than proving the
assumption, the author simply assumes it is true. So, what assumptions underlie their
arguments for position 1 if there are any?
Paragraph 3/2nd body paragraph of second point of view: repeat above
Paragraph 4/Conclusion: Finally, you should highlight the relationship between the two positions
you’ve described by answering the following questions:
• On what points do advocates of these positions agree, on what points do they disagree?
• What are the reasons for disagreement?
• Restate why anyone should care about this problem/issue.
Your paper should be at minimum 2,5 pages.. It should be double-spaced,
typed in Times New
Roman font, with 12-point
character size and one-inch
margins all the way around