For this Assignment, you will consider a leadership role of interest to you to use for your own development. This role could be one you already have or one that you are interested in pursuing in the future. The leadership role could also be one that interests you in terms of coaching. For example, you may identify a CEO leadership role if you are interested in becoming an executive coach.
You also will complete two assessments: The Multifactor Leadership QuestionnaireTM (MLQ) and The Authentic Leadership QuestionnaireTM (ALQ). These assessments are offered in one survey (MLQ + ALQ) for convenience and ease of use, although you will receive separate results for each assessment (attached). You will review the results of each assessment and begin to assess your strengths and limitations as a leader. These assessments were purposely selected because of their widespread use in leader development and because of their strong psychometric properties. You will complete the assessments online and receive the results via e-mail. Your results are private and will not be shared with your Instructor.
To Prepare for this Assignment:
- Read the articles, “What Do We Know About Developing Leadership Potential?,” “Leadership Development: An Outcome-Oriented Review Based on Time and Levels of Analysis,” and “Pedagogy, Leadership, and Leadership Development.”(all 3 articles are attached). Focus on the core components of leader and leadership development. In addition, consider how leader development and leadership development are similar and different.
- Read the Learning Resource on the MLQ + ALQ assessments. Pay particular attention to what each assessment measures and how the results could inform leader development.
- Read pp. 1-2 of the Leader Development Plan Instructional Aid located this week’s Learning Resources. Familiarize yourself with the major components of the Leader Development Plan.(attached).
- Identify a leadership role of interest to you at a specific organization. This role could be one you already have or one that you are interested in pursuing in the future. The leadership role could also be one that interests you in terms of coaching. For example, you may identify a CEO leadership role if you are interested in becoming an executive coach.
- Click on the link to the MLQ + ALQ assessments. Complete each assessment. Then review your results and identify one strength and one limitation related to the leadership role and organization you identified
By Day 7
Submit a 1-page paper that addresses the following:
- Briefly describe a leadership role that interests you, either from a personal standpoint or from a coaching standpoint and explain why.
- Briefly describe the organization’s mission and vision.
- Based on the results of your assessments, describe one strength and one limitation related to the leadership role and organization you described.