ACCT 601 Accounting Capstone (DeVry Keller – April 2016)
• Do you feel that there might be an ethical issue present? For the moment, assume that no laws have been broken and just focus on any possible ethical issues.
• If you were going to report a suspected ethical issue, how would you do so? For instance, to whom would you report? Would you discuss the matter with anyone first?
• Would the manner in which you respond vary depending on whether this corporation was privately held or publicly traded?
• Does the fact that you have only been recently hired play into your decisions?
• What possible sources of guidance might be available from a professional organization and/or your state’s regulatory body overseeing the accounting profession?
• Lastly, please assume that you suspect that some state or federal laws have been broken. The problems might be beyond just a possible ethical issue, in other words. Would this change your handling of the situation?