Week 2 Discussion
Is This Unlawful Discrimination?
The cases used for this Discussion require you and your classmates to analyze the applicability of a number of equal opportunity laws to different disputes. These laws include: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, Civil Rights Act of 1991, Equal Pay Act of 1963, Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. You ultimately judge the disputes based on your analysis.
For your Discussion this week, review the situation you chose last week from the Chapter 17 exercise in Nkomo, Fottler, and McAfee.
Post by Day 3 a 2- to 3-paragraph (at least 200 words) description and judgment of the case you selected. In your description include the key facts of the case, the equal opportunity laws that apply to the case and why those laws apply, and the decision the court must make in the case. Provide an explanation of how you would decide the case if you were the judge and the reason for your decision.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Respond by Day 6 to two or more of your colleagues who chose a different situation than you chose in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you learned and the insights you gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the Learning Resources and any additional sources. APA FORMATTING.
- Mathis, R. L., Jackson, J. H., & Valentine, S. R. (2014). Human resource management(14th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning [Vital Source e-reader].
- Chapter 3, “Equal Employment Opportunity” (pp. 70–108)
- Nkomo, S. M., Fottler, M. D., & McAfee, R. B. (2011). Human resource management applications: Cases, exercises, incidents, and skill builders (7th ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning [Vital Source e-reader].
- Chapter 17, “Exercise: Is This Unlawful Discrimination?” (pp. 56–59)
- USE Template