A wide variety of technologies have been employed in recent years to help achieve the homeland security mission areas. Geographic Information System (GIS), biometrics, data mining, bomb detection robots, radiological monitors, and a host of other technologies are used for homeland security efforts. While these and other technologies provide the United States with significant advantages and capabilities, they also can have limitations. For example, a new technology created to monitor communication between and among terrorists may only work in certain conditions or geographic areas. Critical review of the strengths and limitations of homeland security technologies is essential for determining how they might be used in the future.
To prepare for this Discussion: please see attachments
- Review Chapter 12 of your course text, Introduction to Homeland Security. Reflect on the use of technology to achieve the homeland security mission areas.
- Review the article, “Emerging Technologies for Homeland Security.” Pages 32-35 Focus on strengths and limitations of using emergency technologies for intelligence and warning, protecting cyber infrastructures, and emergency preparedness and response.
- Review the online article, “Science and Technology for a Safer Nation.” Consider the strengths of using technologies to address critical needs, such as chemical and biological defense, border security, cyber security, and maritime security.
- Review the online article, “Technology Strategies for Homeland Security: Adaptation and Coevolution of Offense and Defense.” Think about some of the limitations of defensive technology to prevent terrorist attacks.
- Identify two strengths and two limitations of using technology to achieve the homeland security mission areas.
By Day 5
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 5 two strengths and two limitations of using technology to achieve the homeland security mission areas. Then explain at least one insight you had or conclusion you drew about using technology to achieve homeland security mission areas as a result of completing this assignment. Be specific.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.