Each Discussion should be 250 words, APA citations
Barnes, L. & Bowles, M. (2014). The American story: Perspectives and encounters from 1877. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.
- What do you see as the most serious problem of the first decade of the 1900s?
- Why was this problem more serious than the other problems?
- How did Americans attempt to solve the problem?
- In what ways were they effective?
- In what ways did aspects of the problem still remain?
Read Chapters 4 and 6 of the textbook and watch To Conquer or Redeem.
Refer to your textbook and the film. Thoroughly address the following points:
- Explain Manifest Destiny and American exceptionalism.
- How were these ideas applied to U.S. foreign policy at the turn of the 20th century?
- What do you see as the positives and negatives of American Imperialism?
Read Chapters 8 and 9 of the textbook and watch the World War II: Breadlines to Boomtimes video.
Based on information from your textbook and your analysis of the primary source you chose, address the following points:
- Explain at least three causes of the Great Depression and the specific, corresponding New Deal programs meant to respond to those causes.
- How did the societal changes of this period affect the group that you chose for your Final Project?
Read Chapter 12 in the textbook, The Other ‘Subsidized Housing,’ and watch the video, The House We Live In.
Hanchett, T. W. (2001). The other ‘subsidized housing’. Journal of Housing & Community Development, 58(1), 18. Retrieved from the http://www.nahro.org/housing-journal
Based on information from your textbook, the required article, and the video, address the following points:
- Provide two specific examples of federal laws or Supreme Court rulings that were victories for the equality movements of the 1960s and 1970s and explain how they have contributed to spreading opportunity to a specific group of Americans.
- Provide at least one specific example of continuing inequality and discuss how history can explain why it still exists.
Read Chapters 10 and 11, and watch the video, The Post-War Years.
Based on information from your textbook and the assigned video, answer the following questions:
- What are two major foreign policy events of the Cold War, and how did the United States address them? What caused these events and how effective were the American responses?
- What were two major changes within American society and culture that were caused by the Cold War? How did the Cold War cause these changes?
Read Chapters 13 and 14 in your textbook and the article, “The Rise of Conservatism Since World War II.”
Carter, D. T. (2003, Jan.). The rise of conservatism since World War II. OAH Magazine of History, 17(2), 11-16. Retrieved from http://magazine.oah.org/
Based on your textbook and the required article, explain
- At least three reasons for the rise of conservatism in the last part of the 20th century.
- At least one way in which the rise of conservatism had been positive or negative for a specific group of Americans.